The Magenta Book published in 2011 by HM Treasury provides guidance for evaluating policies and investments.
The document covers:
Part A (aimed at policy makers):
- Key issues in policy evaluation.
- Identifying the right evaluation for the policy.
- Building impact evaluation into policy design.
- Practical issues to consider when designing an evaluation.
Part B (aimed at analysts conducting evaluations)
- The stages of an evaluation.
- Setting out the evaluation framework.
- Data collection.
- Process evaluation.
- Empirical impact evaluation.
Drawing together and reporting evaluation evidence.